This week I decided to take a break from my NOVA Corps troops and participate in the Monday Miniatures project that runs over at caffeineforge.com. The guy there nominates one (or occasionally more) of the minis from the original Reaper Bones collection per week and anyone who is interested can paint up the mini and send him a photo. He then posts all the submissions. It’s his way of motivating people to regularly paint their Bones minis. I’ve never participated before, but this week’s mini seemed like one that I could actually get done in a week, so I gave it a try.
The main reason I decided to paint this guy was that I thought he would be fairly quick to paint, and a good candidate for getting some new techniques. First of all, rather than priming him with grey spray primer (like I usually do) I primed him with black paint straight from the bottle using a brush. It was raining when I started painting him so I couldn’t go outside to spray him, but I was interested in seeing how the Bones minis held paint unprimed anyway so this was a good a chance as any!
At first I thought the paint wasn’t going to stick, but it turned out fine. You can see the result of two coats in the first photo above.
Next, I wanted to try shading (or highlighting in this case) with my airbrush. I’d seen people on YouTube do this and wanted to try it myself. I found that I just ended up covering the whole mini. Next time I’ll have to try spraying a bit closer to the mini. I’m still trying to get the hang of thinning my paint correctly at the moment though, so I need to figure that out first!
After the highlighting via airbrush didn’t pan out I just went back to using brushes. I didn’t want to spend too long on this mini, so I didn’t bother trying to get the transitions between the colours particularly smooth, and it shows, but I’m still quite happy with how it turned out. The bright contrasts makes the mini stand out quite well.