Anval Thricedamned, Evil Warlord

Primed

Primed

This week I worked on another mini suggested by David at caffeineforge.com as part of their regular Monday Miniatures series. I wasn’t really taken by their next scheduled mini (Deenah), but I liked the look of Anval. I thought all of that plate armour would be another good chance to work on my NMM technique.

I also thought I would try using a different palette. I have been using a wet palette because I saw on the internet that they are good. However, I also saw a tip a while back about using ceramic tiles as palettes. The thing that sounded good to me was that they are easy to clean between painting sessions. At the start of the year we had our house renovated and I picked up a leftover tile at the time. It had been sitting in a drawer until now. Here it is after painting Anval:

The tile palette

The tile palette

It certainly gave me more room for my paint, but I found that I needed the room because the paint would dry a lot faster than on the wet palette. It was also a pleasure to clean afterwards. I simply scrubbed it down with the brush I usually use to do dishes. Still, I think now that I’ve tried the tile I will go back and give the wet palette another try. I’ve got something to compare it to now. Hopefully the different types of palettes will help me get a better understanding of the paint I’m working with in general. The other thing I want to try is an old school plastic palette with the round wells in it. I thought they might be good for pooling up really thinned out paint and getting used to the consistency of paints when I’m trying to do glazing or washing.

Back to the mini at hand though! Anval was a simple mini as far as colours went. I used a tanned skin triad of paints for the skin and a few greys for the armour. Here you can see him with the first grey of the armour applied and a black wash liberally applied:

Front

Front

Rear

Rear

To get my NMM effect I applied the wash to all of the grey parts and then did a couple of layers of lighter greys, trying to pick out smaller areas to highlight with each layer. I ended up doing a fairly bright edge highlight to try to make the mini pop. Here’s what I ended up  with:

Front - Finished

Front – Finished

Rear - finished bar the  base. The rear shot of the finished mini was too washed out to post

Rear – finished bar the base. The rear shot of the finished mini was too washed out to post

Overall, I’m really happy with how Anval turned out. Like The Black Mist the edge painting is pretty in your face, but I’m hoping to start working on that with future minis. I watched some great YouTube clips on feathering or two brush blending and I’m keen to see if I can use the technique to soften some of the harsh transitions that I’ve been getting. When I try it out I’ll be sure to post here (and I’ll include the videos I found too).

I can’t wait to try it out, but first I wanted to try to finish off the Mockingbeast mini that I started a while ago. Stay tuned for that soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>